Best Roulette Strategy Guide Ireland - Improve Your Win Rate
Roulette is one of the longest running casino games, with a history stretching back to 18th century France. In all that time, no one has devised a fool-proof method of winning this game of chance. However, gamblers can employ betting strategies that should help maximize potential wins and mitigate losses. While it is a game of chance, many aspects of roulette revolve around mathematics, statistics and odds that create the house edge, which is the built-in casino advantage. In this roulette guide, our casino experts at CasinoSource.ie cover everything you need to know about roulette odds and how to use them at the best roulette sites. Read this page to learn exactly how roulette statistics work and what you should pay attention to while placing bets at the roulette table.
How To Play Roulette Online
Roulette is one of the most iconic table games in the world. For many players, it is the most remembered and beloved hallmark of the casino. The version closest to today’s roulette game was invented at the turn of the 17th century by Frenchmen Blaise Pascal. Originally becoming popular in French social circles, the game of roulette is named after the French term little wheel. Roulette consists of a table with a betting grid, wheel and ball. Players place their bets on the grid before the wheel is spun. The aim is to try predict accurately the number of the pocket that the ball will land in once the wheel stops spinning.
Although roulette was made famous in brick and mortar casinos, nowadays many play it online from their computer or mobile device at a mobile casino. Online casinos in Ireland are 100% legal and regulated by the relevant gambling commission. This means that you can safely and securely learn, practice and play roulette at a licensed Irish online casino.
Playing Roulette Online
There are many advantages to playing roulette at an online casino. You can play from wherever you are, at any time and with no need to book an expensive trip to the casino. Playing online lets you learn the game at your own time, focus and build your roulette strategy. You can even claim at our recommended casino bonuses page that will give you more money to play with. And without taking time off work and booking expensive travel and accommodation – you will have a lot more time and money to spend at the roulette table from the minute you decide to start playing.
When playing at the best online casino of your choice, you can either play roulette games on your own, or use the live casino to play roulette with a live dealer. Many Irish gamblers start with the standard roulette tables to learn and build their roulette strategy. Then, they join the thrilling experience of live dealer roulette.
|Casino||Roulette Games||Roulette Providers||Live Roulette Games||Live Games X||Play now|
|33||7||9||24||Play now||18+ T&C Apply.|
|30||3||20||71||Play now||18+ New players with valid mobile number only • Claim in 48 hrs • 14 day expiry • Valid for selected games • Pre-1st deposit only: FS voucher winnings is uncapped, bonus wins & max redeemable amount for non-funded players capped at €100, excl. JP wins • Wager Bonus x1 - req. contributions vary by game • Bonus expires in 90 days • Deposit Offer: 1st time depositor at 888casino only • €20 min deposit • Claim in 48 hrs • Valid for selected games • Bonus wins capped at €500, excl. JP wins • Pre-1st deposit only: Bonus wins & max redeemable amount capped at €100, excl. JP wins • 30x wagering – req. vary by game • Bonus expires in 90 days • Payment method & country restrictions apply • Gamble responsibly. www.begambleaware.org. Terms Apply|
|14||4||3||18||Play now||18+ T&C Apply.|
Improving Your Roulette Odds – Winning at Roulette Tips
If you want to make sure you are getting the most out of your roulette sessions, you need to try and maximize your roulette odds every time. While no formula will guarantee that you win, there are several things you can do to increase your chances to win at the roulette table:
- Choose the right game: Not every roulette variation offers the same odds. Make sure you choose the games with the best roulette odds if you want to win more often.
- Understand the game statistics: Knowing the roulette statistics may help you win. While you should not think a number is more likely to land at one point (gambler's fallacy), knowing the statistics and your probability of landing a winning bet will help you bet with more consistency.
- Only bet with money you can afford: Never wager real money you cannot afford to lose. Gambling with real money that is meant for your living expenses can cause you problems and stress and will put your mental and financial physical well-being at risk.
- Apply roulette strategies: Our casino experts at CasinoSource offer several popular roulette betting systems and strategies. Check out the top roulette betting systems in the section below and learn how to use them to increase your chances of winning the next time you play at the roulette tables.
- Use casino bonuses and promotions: Any roulette bonus or extra money you can get from the casino will get you started at a table game and make your bankroll last longer. It is especially true when playing online casino roulette and taking advantage of a welcome bonus and other offers, but live casinos sometimes offer valuable promotions as well. However, as many bonuses do not include roulette games, always check the casino's terms and conditions before playing.
The Top Roulette Strategies - Roulette Betting Systems
The Martingale Strategy
Although it might initially seem counter intuitive, the Martingale method pushes you to double your bet after a loss. You don’t bet on a specific number, but rather on one of the ranged bets that roulette allows; this could be red or black, odd or even numbers, or the lower numbers (1-18) and upper numbers (19-36).
Play on a roulette wheel with a low minimum bet limit and start making small bets. If you win, repeat the same wager for the same value. If you lose, double the same bet, so if you’re betting on black, keep doing so until you win again or reach the maximum bet limit. The larger bets should in theory allow you to recoup your losses, but there is also a chance you’ll run out of money.
The Reverse Martingale Strategy
The reverse Martingale strategy has you double your wager after a win and lower it after a loss. This betting strategy relies on the idea of hitting a mythical hot streak that remains red hot for a long time. This is often referred to as Gambler’s Fallacy, as the odds don’t change based on what has occurred in previous spins. This strategy also relies heavily on the player’s ability to walk away; if gamblers keep doubling their bet until they lose, they’ll end up losing everything.
The D’Alembert Strategy
Named after French theorist Jean le Rond d’Alembert, this strategy shares some similarities with the Martingale method, but is generally considered to carry a lower risk. Rather than doubling your bets after wins or losses, the D’Alembert system suggests increasing the bet by one after a loss, and decreasing it by one after a win. Unlike the Martingale strategy, this one recommends walking away from the Roulette wheel when the number of wins matches the number of overall losses.
This strategy is based on the mathematical Fibonacci Sequence, a sequence known to occur often in math, science and nature. Every number in the sequence is the sum of the previous two numbers, spiraling into larger numbers the further you go along the scale. The Fibonacci strategy takes that rule and applies it to the wager on the roulette wheel. You arrive at the next number in the sequence by adding together the two previous numbers. The sequence looks like this: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55…
Like the Martingale and D’Alembert strategies, this method advises players to increase their bet after a loss, moving along the Fibonacci Sequence. If you manage a win, then you move back two places along the scale. The one advantage this has over D’Alembert is that it’s possible to lose more games than you have won and still walk away with a positive balance. However, the major disadvantage is that you could very quickly reach the maximum bet limit.
The Labouchere system is a somewhat more complex strategy that still involves trying to manipulate your roulette odds. You need to decide how much you want to win and create a list of numbers that add up to the required win. Add the biggest and the smallest number on the list together and make that your wager. Anytime you win, remove the two numbers from the list. Anytime you lose, add the entire amount lost to the bottom of the list, and keep wagering. Labouchere is highly volatile but will get you where you want to go very fast if you have a winning streak.
James Bond Strategy
Who doesn't want to play roulette like the legendary 007? The famous agent's betting system includes covering a good part of the roulette wheel. Betting 14 units on numbers 19 through 36, 5 units on numbers 13 through 18, and a single unit on 0, you give yourself many winning options. However, you will lose 20 units at once if the spin is a losing one. The system may work well for Mr Bond, but it won't really help you change your roulette odds in the long run.
|Casino||Testing Agency||Payout %*||Slots X||Play now|
|N/A||Depends on the game||1323||Play now||18+ T&C Apply.|
|eCOGRA Logo||95.88%||2285||Play now||18+ New Customers Only. Full Terms and Conditions Apply. Begambleaware.org|
|eCOGRA Logo||97.22%||2322||Play now||18+ New Players only. Gamble responsibly. www.begambleaware.org.|
Positive and Negative Roulette Betting Progression Systems
Roulette betting systems are often grouped by how a player should react to winning and losing bets. This is more simply stated as the system’s betting progression. There are three types of roulette betting progression systems: Positive, Negative and Flat. At the name suggests, a player that is implementing a Flat Betting System will continue placing wagers of the same amount, regardless of the previous bet being a winning or losing one.
Positive Progression Roulette Betting Systems
- Positive Progression Roulette Betting Systems are popular amongst roulette players because they are easy to implement and more intuitive. When using a positive progression roulette system, a player will increase their betting stake after every winning bet. Alternatively after a losing bet, the player will reduce the amount wagered. The amount of betting units (i.e. coins or chips) will either increase or decrease depending on the system used.
- Using a positive progression betting system will let you maximise your profits during a winning streak. Hopefully the amount of profits you accumulated will then carry you through a streak of losing bets. Many players like this system because it makes common sense – You should bet more when you win and less when you lose. Two of the most popular positive progression roulette betting systems are the Parlay and Paroli systems.
- Keep in mind that every spin outcome is independent and adopting these, or any other betting strategies will not affect your chances of winning or losing on the next bet. Therefore it is important to be disciplined and determine profit targets, bet units and the amount of winning and losing consecutive bets you wish to make.
Negative Progression Roulette Betting Systems
- Contrary to the positive progression category, a Negative Progression Betting System will require you to increase your stake after each losing bet and lower it after a win. The idea behind a negative progression roulette betting system is that a player is bound to generate a win eventually. As stakes grow with every loss, the winning bet at the end of a losing streak will be high enough to offset losses. Popular negative progression roulette betting systems include the Martingale, Labouchere and D’Alembert systems.
- Negative progressive betting systems are considered more risky. Although winnings can be massive, players can find themselves exhausting their bankroll very quickly. Also, this type of betting system is more counter intuitive and requires discipline on both ends. You must not be tempted to invest more when winning, and certainly not push the boundaries and generate exponential losses in hope of a win that will fix everything.
Betting on Red or Black Roulette Betting System
Every real-life and online roulette game offers a number of even money, 1:1 bets. This type of bet has the highest outcome probability and in case of a win pays 1 unit for every 1 unit wagered. It includes betting on colour (either red of black), betting on an odd or even number, and betting on a high or low number (1-18 or 19-36). Many roulette players, especially beginners, like placing even-money bets as these cover most of the possibilities on the wheel. Although offering small payouts, these bets can generate wins very quickly.
Some players build their entire roulette betting strategy on even-money bets. In this case either all, or only one specific bet will be chosen. The strategy will then be implemented by changing the betting units only. Even-money betting strategies can be applied with negative, positive or flat progression roulette betting systems. It provides for fun and exciting gameplay with the possibility of many wins. But keep in mind that at the end of the day the odds are stacked against you (due to the casino’s house edge). So although staying at the roulette table for longer, relying only on even-money bets can eventually make you lose all your bankroll.
Combo Roulette Betting System
A Combo Roulette Betting System calls for placing a combination of different bets on every spin. The player will place two or more bets, where each would be treated as a separate wager. It is usually implemented with an even-money bet and negative progression betting system such as Martingale.
Although placed on the same spin, each wager will be treated as a standalone Martingale bet. When losing bets the player will increase their stake. When winning, they will revert back to the initial bet. As is the case with even-money bets, the combo betting system is eventful and fun, and can possibly keep you playing at the roulette table for a long time. However as each bet is independent, there is no real mathematical advantage in implementing this roulette betting system.
Three-To-Two (3/2) Roulette Betting System
The Three-To-Two (3/2) Roulette Betting System requires players to bet on the colour black and the third number column, the colour red and the second number column, and so on. Bets should be placed at a ratio of 3 to 2 units (hence the system’s name). Every bet of 3 units on a colour will be combined with a bet of 2 units on the column. Technically this betting system covers 26 numbers, which represents about 70% of the roulette wheel’s possible outcomes.
However if looking more closely at the three-to-two roulette betting system, every time you win the column bet and lose the colour bet you get a payout of 2:1. Winning the colour bet and losing the column bet will yield a payout of 1-3. In the unlikely event where you win both, the profit will be much larger, but still at a payout of 7-5 which isn’t as great.
But you can always be up for a winning streak. So if using the 3/2 system, set up a moderate profit goal, a stake that is about 8 to 9 times your initial bet, and a limit of about 2 to 3 losing bets. Of course be disciplined and follow your limits closely.
Column King Roulette Betting System
The Column King Roulette Betting System is based on the principle of concentrating bets on number columns on the roulette grid. Each column will contain a series of 12 numbers. A bet on any of the three columns will yield a 2:1 payout and have a probability of 32.4% and 31.6% on European roulette and American roulette respectively. Players like this system because it gives them the flexibility to either progress positively or negatively (bet with or against the streak).
To play the column king betting system you will need to place a bet on a column. If the bet wins, move on to make a wager on a different column and begin a new sequence. If the bet loses, increase the wager and bet on the same column again. This betting sequence should continue for six consecutive losses. Then you should decide on whether you to quit the sequence, or possibly add three more bets on the same column. In case of long winning streaks, some players that use this system increase their stake slightly after winning bets.
Wells Pendulum Roulette Betting System
In 1891 a roulette player in Monte Carlo named Charles Wells invented the Wells Pendulum Roulette Betting System. Wells compared even-money bets to a swinging pendulum. By his logic odd/even, red/black and high/low bets would occur with some regularity of outcome. He also thought that one outcome would rarely occur ten times more than the other during any one given session.
Wells suggested using a budget of 145 units and an initial bet of 10 units on an even money bet. After each win, the bet will be reduced by 1 unit. And after each loss the bet will be increased by 1 unit. Following this logic, 10 spins would rarely produce the same even-money bet outcome. So a streak of 10 losses that will exhaust your bankroll is highly unlikely. Wells considered a betting sequence finished if his stake fell to 0 or reached 20 units.
The Wells Pendulum roulette betting system can produce a nice profit if winning sequences appear early on. However an early losing streak can create a deficit that is going to be hard to recover and may take many bet sequences to break even again. But if the wins come in at the right time, the Wells Pendulum system can yield profit with less winning bets than losing ones.
Guetting Roulette Betting System
The Guetting Roulette Betting System is a positive progression system which is designed to give chances for pretty big profits after a short winning streak. Another benefit of this system is that losing bet sequences can potentially have a small impact on a player’s bankroll. It is a bit different from other progression systems as it isn’t gradual. The Guetting system calls for placing different betting units during different levels of the casino game. If you win twice you will move to the next level and increase your stake, and if you lose you revert back to your original bet.
There are specific betting units to use at every level after winning or losing bets:
- Start with a 2-unit wager. win twice and move to next level
- Bet 3 units, win twice/ bet 4 units, win twice/ bet 6 units, win twice – move to next level
- Bet 8 units, win twice/ bet 12 units, win twice/ bet 16 units, win twice – move to next level
- Bet 20 units, win twice/ bet 30 units, win twice/ bet 40 units
Obviously it is very unlikely to predict so many winning bets in a row. This is why the different betting levels of the Guetting roulette betting system allow you to hedge your profits. If you lose a bet, drop down a level and bet on the first number of that lower level. If you lose a second bet, repeat the same wager. This allows you to protect some of your profits in case of a losing streak.
The Guetting roulette system is a relatively low-risk system that allows you to measure your progress. It is incremental, and good winning streaks will allow you to generate profits fast. The biggest drawback is that it is a system that is difficult to understand and can be confusing at times.
Best Roulette Bets
Once purchased chips and ready to play, you can place your bets on any number, group of numbers and even outcomes. Given you have a limited period of time to place your bets before the dealer spins the wheel. This can get a bit overwhelming, especially in you are a new player. Finding the best bets and working on your roulette strategy while sitting at a crowded, noisy roulette table can be challenging.
Some players ask the dealer to place bets for them by calling bets. But again, if the table is busy with many players the dealer can get distracted and your bets lost in the commotion and not placed on time. This is why many roulette players like to play online, where they can concentrate, place bets at their own pace and decide when to spin the wheel.
Safe vs Risky Roulette Bets
What makes roulette exciting to many is the fact that it offers both safe and risky bets. This allows players to build and customize the best roulette strategy for them based on their risk preferences. You can bet very safe on red/black, high/low or even/uneven. This will let you cover many options on the table and start winning pretty quickly. But keep in mind that payouts for these type of bets are low, making it hard to build significant profits. On the opposite end of the risk scale are bets on specific numbers. The odds are less in your favour to win these bets, but if you do win the payout is huge. There are is also a range of different bets in between the two high and low-risk extremes. These include bets of different groupings of numbers.
Types of Bets
Regardless of playing online or at a brick and mortar casino, it is best to understand the types of bets, their odds and payouts. This knowledge will allow you to focus on your roulette strategy, keep calm and be prepared for every spin of the wheel. There are two main categories for roulette bets: Inside bet and outside bet. Inside bet is the type of bet you will make on specific numbers or groups of numbers. Whilst outside bet is based on events. They are named after their position on the roulette betting grid. Given the higher odds for outside bets to occur, their payout is lower. This compared to inside bets that have less probability, but in case of a win offer much higher payouts.
The most common bet amongst roulette players is the black/red bet. It pays even money and allows players to bet on the colour the ball will land on. Another common even-money bet is the odd/even bet which allows you to bet on the type of number. A third even-money bet is high/low which lets you bet on numbers between 1 and 18 (low), and 19 and 36 (high).
Outside bets are best for risk-averse players. Those who would like to start investing small sums and building their profits slowly. It is also usually the best roulette bet for casual roulette players that are looking to learn the game and diversify their risk across different types of bets.
For players that are looking for more risky roulette strategies with higher payouts, inside bets are the best. Although the odds of winning these bets are smaller, payouts can be huge and help you build profits in a short period of time. The first inside bet is a single number, which is common with players that bet on their lucky numbers, birthdays, etc. This is the most risky bet you can place on a roulette table.
The second-risky bet is the split which lets you bet on two adjoining numbers on the roulette grid. A street is a bet on any three adjoining numbers. A corner bet is placed by putting a chip on four adjacent numbers and betting on all of them. Naturally, all these bets will have different payouts, which will increase as the odds get slimmer.
More inside bets include wagers on different groups of numbers, based on the pattern and alignment on the roulette betting grid. For example a dozens bet which lets you bet on first 12 numbers. A Columns bet that lets you wager on 12 numbers as well, but with a different alignment on the grid. There are also splits bets and more. The less odds on each bet, the higher payout.
Once you had read and understood the type of bets, it is important to form your own ideas on which of them would be best for your roulette strategy. It is also important to go online to practice and develop your skills hands-on by placing different bets, spinning the wheel and understanding your odds.
Live Dealer Roulette Strategy Tips
A lot has changed in the way people play roulette since the game was invented in the 17th century. Today, the best online casino sites offer live roulette. This allows you to join a real roulette table with the game being broadcasted from a live studio to your screen. Live dealer roulette brings the experience of a brick and mortar casino to wherever you choose to play from. Here are a few tips for building your live dealer roulette strategy:
- Get comfortable with the settings: Adjust screen resolution, device sound, your seating position, lights, etc. This will enable you to focus only on the online live roulette game and interact in real time for an immersive roulette experience.
- Test different live dealer roulette variations: Live dealer games are a good opportunity to experience games in a real roulette casino setting. It will help you determine which roulette variation is best for you.
- Find the best live dealer bonuses: Many casinos offer a generous deposit bonus to entice you to sign up and play. Always compare from the bonuses that are offered on our site. Also check in the casino’s bonus terms and conditions if they include live dealer roulette.
- Don’t get distracted: A live dealer studio provides for very realistic and exciting roulette gameplay with many features, sights and sounds. Enjoy the settings but don’t get too distracted, stay focused.
- Try different betting systems but don’t rely on them solely: There are some good betting strategies you can test, but remember that like any other form of gambling, luck is also a big factor in live dealer roulette.
Set yourself limits and stick to them: Live dealer games can be very exciting and engaging. So you can sometimes lose track of time and money. It is always important to gamble responsibly. So set time limits and budgets, and keep a close eye on your bankroll.
Final Thoughts on Roulette Strategy
The terms system and strategy may sound a bit misleading to an inexperienced roulette player, or anyone new to gambling for that matter. The underlying math of the roulette game doesn’t allow for a betting method that will let you overcome the house edge every time. If that was the case, all the casinos would be out of business very quickly. Still, it is important to learn roulette rules and understand the odds. By building a roulette strategy, you can use that knowledge to your advantage and certainly improve your chances to win at the best roulette site.
Remember that the online roulette game is a form of gambling, and roulette strategies should never be seen as a sure way to earn money. Play roulette for fun, set time limits and budgets and stick to them. If you are losing or feel things are getting out of control take a break and seek help. Always gamble responsibly, so you can come back and spin the roulette wheel again for a hopefully great win.
How to win online roulette?
- Like any other casino game, luck and built-in math have a great impact on the outcomes at the roulette table. So there is no sure way to win. However by learning the game, understanding the rules and building your roulette strategy, you can greatly increase your chances to build up a nice profit.
What is the best bet in online roulette?
- The best roulette bets will depend on your risk strategy and personal playing style. Inside bets (bets on numbers) carry more risk but yield higher payouts, while outside bets (bets on events) have lower risk but pay out smaller amounts on winnings.
What is the safest bet in roulette?
- The safest bets on roulette are red/black, even/odd and low/high. These are all even-money bets that pay 1:1 and have the highest odds of occurring. Although each win will not pay out as much as some of the other bets available, a consistent even-money approach can net you more wins over time.